Friday, March 22, 2013

... You spent HOW MUCH on textbooks?!

Since nothing exciting has been happening to me regarding textbooks, I thought it'd be fun to feature a textbook experience from someone else.

Sadly my best friend from high school, Sarah, recently spent over $1,000 on textbooks. I think it's safe to say she is having a textbook nightmare. I recently caught up with her to discuss the fortune she spent this semester on textbooks and just how necessary they've been.



1. Where do you attend school/what is your major?
I Go to Wegman’s School of Nursing through St. John Fisher College.

2. How much money did you spend on textbooks this semester?
I spent a total of $1152 dollars on text books. This was the total of my required text books, as teachers stressed how essential they were. It was an extra $223 for the recommended books, but I do not bother getting those.

3. How did you pay for them? (On your own, parents, loans, etc.)
I ended up taking out loans because the cost of school is around $14,000 a semester. My parents gave me $4,000, financial aid covered $3,500 and a scholarship covered $2,750. I got approved for a $4,500 loan which covered the rest of my tuition and some of my books. I ended up paying $150 on my own.

4. How often have you used each book?

I use one of my books (that cost $245) after every class because tests are impossible without it. The book I spent $109 on I use to double check myself, but it is not needed. Two of the books (costing $60 and $75) were used once this semester for homework assignments. The other books have not been touched.

5.Would it be possible for you to pass your classes without the textbooks?

The $245 book is essential, although it cost $245 because it came in a bundle with about ten other books that I have not used once. The cost of the book itself would have been about $100. I should have waited to see if I needed the other books.

Here's a look at Sarah's textbook prices:


Required:
Used: Total = $867 
New:  Total = $1152

Recommended:
Used: Total = $148
New: Total = $197

Yikes.

If I was in this situation, I honestly don't know what I'd do. It'd be difficult to refuse to buy textbooks when studying anatomy and medical terms like Sarah is, but I have zero idea how I'd come up with that money.

I've always looked to Sarah in learning how to save money - she could honestly teach a class on it. She has always been very responsible with her budgets, payments and accounts. I've always been jealous. I'm actually very frustrated that she had to take out a loan because I think if anyone deserves a break with money - it's her. 

I know that she stated she has used one of the books often, but what about the others? I'm sorry, but I can't possibly see a need for all of them.

Unfortunately Sarah will have to pay back this loan, that helped her buy books she will most likely only use for twenty weeks. Would it really have been that difficult to find websites with the information needed or create note sheets for the students? I thought textbooks were supposed to make us learn - not make us hate their existence.

While I've been complaining that nothing interesting is happening to me with textbooks, I know I should bite my tongue. I'm very lucky to not have needed textbooks yet. I wish it had been the same for Sarah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment