Thursday, March 28, 2013

Quiz #1

We're almost at the halfway point!

How exciting!

It's nearly the end of Week Four at RIT and although I don't believe I have any scheduled, next week is usually midterms week.

For most students, midterms means slaving over textbooks for hours and hours with the hopes of retaining at least some of the information that's been taught by the professor thus far.



BUT that's just the thing - most of the information I've seen presented on quizzes and tests may be in the required textbook, but the professor has also most likely taught the same information in their lecture. I render my original argument ... what's the need for the textbook?

Not on board yet? Let me make my point.

Yesterday I had my first "content quiz" in Copywriting and Visualization. My professor posts all of his lectures on the MyCourses website that RIT provide. My study method consisted of me re-reading his notes.

"This quiz will be a good Textbookless test for you," said a friend as I sat down in class yesterday.

There's a textbook for this class? I thought. I had completely forgotten.

"Yeah," I said, "I guess we'll see."

And the nerves set in.

"Did you read the textbook?" I asked.

"Yes! And these are the notes I got from the reading" said my friend, as she proceeded to show me two full pages of notes.

Lovely.

I quickly looked over my notes, begged myself to remember the "15 Reasons People Buy," and tried to quickly come up with as many mnemonic devices as possible. You know, tools like PCL to help me remember the key words "product, consumer, location."

Mnemonic device example via Pintrest

Mnemonic device example via Pintrest
 Then it was quiz time.

While I won't receive my grade until Monday, I'm pretty sure I kicked some serious butt. I maybe stumbled on three questions. There were twenty-five.

As I confidently handed my quiz in, I breathed a major sigh of relief.

I can still do this and Textbookless is still in action.

In other news, I've been continuing to hit "unsubscribe" on my store e-mails, but yesterday I had a slight breakdown

As I was getting ready to rid my inbox of Etsy e-mails, a beautiful $3.50 necklace caught my eye.

I've gotten really "into" statement necklaces. It's usually never a good thing when I get "into" something, but anyways I've been on the hunt for some.

This statement necklace was everything I've always wanted. Of course. It was the color, the shape, and hello! How could you go wrong spending $3.50?

So I decided to get all three colors offered - for a total of $10.50. I thought this was a brilliant decision. In fact, I was going to create a whole Textbookless post on how I had saved SO much money on Etsy.


Photo via Etsy

Photo via Etsy
Photo via Etsy

Only one problem arose. The shipping for the three necklaces ... was $12.50. Yes, that IS more than the items I purchased as a whole.

But it was too late at this point, I had to have them. They are ordered and on they’re way from China as we speak.

As I told a friend about my purchases last night, they weren't nearly as thrilled as I had been.

"Em, I thought you were saving money!" they said.

"I am!" I said in a DUH voice. I was slightly confused - hadn't I saved money by buying three necklaces at $3.50 a piece?

"No, Emily" my friend replied. "Saving money means NOT buying things you don't need. And I highly doubt you need three new necklaces."

Great. She had me there.

I'm counting this purchase as a partial fail. I had good intentions with shopping on Etsy, but I know I shouldn't have been shopping in the first place.

These necklaces better be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment