Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Money Saving Tip Tuesday!

Before I dive into this week's Money Saving Tip Tuesday ... I have some exciting news to share with you!

I have received a few quiz and assignment grades back from my professors ... and I've done well!

On Monday I received my Copywriting and Visualization content quiz grade. If you remember from last week's post, I was a little nervous for this quiz - especially after a friend in the class had showed me the extensive notes she had taken from the book.


Anyway, I got a 100 percent - I was thrilled! This was the first major quiz I've had this quarter and the  grade counts for a significant portion of my overall grade. I successfully "aced" the quiz without having the textbook.

I also received my grade for the first essay I had to write in The Congress. According to the directions presented by the professor, I had to write an essay describing the fiscal state of the country. I had to talk about discretionary spending, non-discretionary spending, and the deficit. Lastly, I had to come up with a solution for solving the national debt crisis. I know ... torture.

Luckily, my professor posted some government documents online, for us to use for the assignment. However, I was still unsure of how I would do without the textbook. Again, I got a 100 percent!

I heavily relied on the Internet to support my answers, but it wasn't difficult to do. I found a ton of good information and my research actually went very smoothly. Once I got going on the assignment, I didn't think about the textbook once!

So far, so good!

The only thing that hasn't gone so well, is a quiz that I also had for The Congress.

The quiz was strictly based on The Constitution, so I should have done well regardless of having the textbook or not. However, I got a 46 percent . The class average was a 66 percent. In my defense, the professor warned us that it's not usually a quiz anyone scores well on.

I have another Copywriting and Visualization content quiz and a midterm for The Congress next week - my textbookless journey continues.

Now, this week's Money Saving Tip is to donate ... well, kind of.

Have you ever heard of Plato's Closet?

In case you haven't, it's a hidden retail gem that allows you give your "old" clothes in exchange for cash.

Let me break it down.

You know that pair of shorts you've had for ONE summer that suddenly aren't your style anymore, but there's nothing wrong with them?

You can bring the shorts into Plato's Closet and granted they're in good condition, they will give you cash for them. Whether it's something brand-new with the tags still on or something gently worn, Plato's will most likely take it.

I've had quite a few successful visits at Platos. A few times I've gotten over $100 for clothes that I simply grew out of or wasn't fond of anymore!

Instead of just throwing your unwanted or old clothes away - you can give them to Plato's, get cash, and give someone else the opportunity to purchase them at a seriously discounted rate.

You can give and get at the same time - what could be better?

Right now Plato's is in search of all of the summer clothes you've stored away in your closet. Which ones won't you be wearing this season? Bring the clothes to Plato's and use the cash you're given to SAVE!

Perhaps you can create a new saving's jar or buy a cheap new piggy bank, to collect all of the money you get from Plato's. I would love to try visiting with clothes before every season, storing the money I'm given away, and then see how much I've gotten over the span of a year. What do you think?

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment